Hawaii Car Title

Do you need a car title in Hawaii? We've collected helpful information to assist you with everything you need to receive your car title in Hawaii. Select from the options below to get started.

1: Get Started with Online Application Services

Online application assistance can simplify the process for many DMV related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. In addition to the free forms and general instructions available from the DMV offices or websites, you will receive value added products such as a comprehensive Easy Guide™ containing information relevant to your service needs. Where possible, we will prepare your DMV forms and/or provide links to DMV online services. You will also receive 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service from Road America. In addition, you will be able to take advantage of a free membership to DMV Advisors, a state-specific help desk prepared to answer any driver-related questions or concerns you may have. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail, if eligible (read below for instructions)

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.

3: Via a local DMV office

If you prefer to access DMV services in person or your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at a physical DMV office location. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your local DMV allows you to make a personal appointment. Read more below to see if an in-person visit is either preferred or required.

About Hawaii Car Titles

Are you looking to title your car? If you've purchased your vehicle from a dealership, they will handle the titling process for you, but if you've received this vehicle in any other way, say as a gift, or from a used car lot, you will be expected to title it yourself.

In order to handle a Hawaii car title transfer, you will need to visit your county's registration office within 10 days of receiving the vehicle. In Hawaii, Honolulu and Maui counties, you will need to complete a Notice of Transfer and bring it with you to the office.

Transferring a Vehicle To a Family Member

If you are transferring a car to a member of your family, you will need to also transfer the Hawaii car title to the new owner. To transfer your Hawaii car title you will need to:

  • Sign the vehicle title over to the new owner and note the mileage on the back of the car title at the time of the transfer
  • Make sure the new owner signs and dates the Hawaii car title
  • Ensure the new owner has all the registration documents and safety inspection certificates
  • Contact your local office to find out exactly what you will owe, because fees for Hawaii vehicle title transfers vary

Used Vehicles

For those of you who purchased used vehicles and need to complete a new Hawaii vehicle title, you need to:

  • Have a bill of sale  
  • Have a signed and dated Hawaii car title (by the previous owner and yourself)
  • Note the mileage on the Hawaii car title at the time of your purchase

Removing a Lienholder

If you need to remove a lienholder from your Hawaii car title you will need to:

  • Make your final payment
  • Have the lender sign the Hawaii car title over to you
  • Take the title to your local DMV office
  • Pay the Hawaii car title transfer fee
    • Fees for Hawaii vehicle title transfers vary, contact your local office to find out exactly what you will owe before you head over

Office Locations:

Find Honolulu DMV office locations here

Find Hawaii DMV locations here.

Find Kauai DMV locations here.

Find Maui DMV locations here.


Hawaii Salvage Titles

In the state of Hawaii, insurance companies have the authority to declare a vehicle a total loss if your automobile is in an accident. If your insurance company takes possession of the vehicle, they are required to apply for a salvage title. If you as the owner retain possession, you will have to acquire a Hawaii Salvage Title. Your salvaged vehicle must be rebuilt or restored and pass inspection before it can be registered to be driven on the highways.

Hawaii Salvage Certificate of Title

Once your insurance company deems the vehicle a total loss, you can apply for a HI Salvage Vehicle Certificate of Title through one of your local Hawaii Department of Motor Vehicles offices located in the City and County of Honolulu, Hawaii County, Kauai County or Maui County. Just bring your title, vehicle registration card, license plate and insurance paperwork.

From a Hawaii Salvage Title to Rebuilt Salvage Certificate of Title

To obtain a Rebuilt Salvage Title for your vehicle, you'll need to sign your title over to an authorized rebuilder. This is the only way you can proceed to acquire your Rebuilt Salvage Certificate of Title. Upon completion of your salvaged vehicle restoration by a salvage rebuilder authorized by the state of Hawaii, you can then convert your HI Salvage Title to a HI Rebuilt Salvage Title.

To get a list of authorized rebuilders and request a Rebuilt Title, head to your local Hawaii Department of Motor Vehicles office (City and County of Honolulu, Hawaii County, Kauai County or Maui County) and complete a Salvage Certificate of Title. You will also have to include your title, bill of sale, all receipts for parts used in the rebuild, along with paying the appropriate fees. Once the process is complete, your rebuilt title will be mailed to you.

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in Hawaii

An abandoned vehicle title in Hawaii can be claimed by anyone as long as the owner does not come forward to claim it. As a general guideline between all states, to claim an abandoned vehicle and title it, you must first contact your local law enforcement agency, give them the location of the vehicle and fill out an Abandoned Vehicle Form.

If authorities investigate and the owner is not located, they will contact you. At that point you can take your Abandoned Vehicle Form to your local Hawaii DMV branch and apply for a Motor Vehicle Title. For more information, contact your local authorities or your local DMV.

Get your questions
answered at DMV Advisors

Featured Resources
- Download comprehensive checklists, tips and resources to guide you with DMV related services.
Driver Related Resources

Get your questions
answered at DMV Advisors